2-Day Desert Tour From Marrakech To Erg Chigaga
A 2 days desert tour from Marrakech to Erg Chigaga is perfect for those who are short on time. In fact, The Erg Chigaga desert tour is the ideal opportunity to introduce you to Morocco’s Sahara desert in a condensed 2-day trip. To fit everyone’s tight schedule, we organize our Marrakech to Sahara desert tour every day in small groups of up to 17 like-minded young travelers from all over the world.
- Exploring Zagora Dunes Desert tour for a quick change from the bustling city
- Enjoying scenic views during the drive from Marrakech to Zagora
- Driving through Tizi-n-Tichka Pass and over the High Atlas Mountains
- Visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou and Kasbah Telouet
- Discovering the film sets in the Atlas Studios in Ouarzazate
- Exploring the Dra’a Valley past palm trees, Kasbahs, and green oases
- Riding camels in Zagora and watching the spectacular sunset and sunrise
- Dining in a nomad camp followed by music with the nomads
- Sleeping in a traditional Berber tent
- Visit to the green pottery co-operatives and the old Koranic Library
Live the life of a Berber for one night on a 2-day desert tour from marrakech to Erg Chigaga and the Draa Valley from Marrakech. Experience the shifting sand dunes on the back of a camel, sleep under a canopy of stars, and follow in the footsteps of Hollywood royalty on a visit to the world heritage village of Ait Ben Haddou.
Day 1: Marrakech – Erg Chigaga (7 hours drive)
Following an early morning pick-up from your hotel or riad in Marrakech, drive across the High Atlas Mountains en route to Ouarzazate, where you will stop for a lunch at leisure. Continue to the oasis of Agdez, before driving through the date and palm trees of the Draa Valley. Marvel at the fortified Kasbahs along the way. Upon arrival at Erg Chigaga, meet your camel caravan for a 1-hour camel ride over the sand dunes. Watch the sunset paint the desert sands as it sinks below the horizon. Then, transfer to your Sahara Desert camp just before dark. Settle into your private tent, and enjoy some time at leisure to explore the surrounding desert scenery. Dinner will be served under the stars, while your nomad hosts will provide the entertainment around a campfire with the beat of their drums.
Day 2: Erg Chigaga – Marrakech (7 hours drive)
Wake early to experience the magic of a desert sunrise (optional). Then, enjoy breakfast before climbing back into the saddle of your camel for the ride back to the main road. Here, your minibus will be waiting to take you on a scenic drive to the world heritage village of Ait Ben Haddou. Instantly recognizable as the setting of various Hollywood epics, it’s also a popular backdrop for photo shoots with international fashion magazines and agencies. Explore the Kasbah at leisure, with some free time for lunch, before the picturesque drive back to Marrakech for an estimated drop-off at 18:00.
- Transport air-conditioned van or minibus deluxe and fuel (no more than 17 passengers)
- Pick-up from and drop-off at your riad or hotel in Marrakech
- Experienced local English, French, Spanish or Italian-speaking Berber, and nomad driver/guide
- The night in a desert camp with a toilet and shower, lamps, traditional Moroccan handmade furnishings, and plenty of space
- Breakfast, dinner, and vegetarian and vegan options are available.
- A camel ride of about an hour – an hour & a half with a guide. Free sandboarding, if desired – just speak to the camp staff
- Option to go to and return from the camp by 4×4
- Luggage service to the camp and all accommodation
- Berber drumming and music
- Free time to explore the sites such as Ait Ben Haddou, the Ounila Valley, Dra’a Valley, Kasbah Tamnougalte, for walks, photos, and tea/coffee breaks
- The opportunity to ask the driver to stop when and where you wish
- Tea, coffee, and mineral water in the desert
To know before you go :
Ps : Standard desert camp included in the tour price.
- The confirmation will be received in the time of booking.
- This shared Marrakech to desert tour is perfect for easy-going travelers and students.
- Your luggage is welcome on this Marrakech to Erg Chigaga trip. It will be safely stored in the van while camping in the desert.
- Please make sure you prepare a small backpack/rucksack for the camel ride and overnight in the camp.
- Please bring your own bathroom condiments and towel for the camp.
- Hat, sunglasses, good walking shoes, and wet napkins are of good use during this tour.
- Please wear jeans, trousers, or long shorts for the camel ride to have a comfortable trek in the Sahara desert.
Questions & Answers
Yes, you can, it will be kept safe in the van while camping. However, please prepare your small backpack to take with you on the camel ride to the Sahara desert camp. The rest of your luggage will stay safe in your vehicle for the night.
Your camel ride in the Erg Chigaga desert will consist of a one-hour sunset camel ride and a roughly 40 minutes sunrise camel ride in the morning. Time depends on the season, sunset, and sunrise time.