Shared Marrakech To Fes desert trip
Go on an adventurous 3-day shared Marrakech to Fes desert trip to the High Atlas Mountains and the Road of the 1000 Kasbahs. You will stay the night in the impressive Dades Gorges, visit the most important film studio in Africa, and and ending up stars gazing in a desert camp in Merzouga, passing via dades gorges and having instagrammable pictures on the road and more.
- Drive across the High Atlas Mountains and Tizi Ntichka pass.
- Witness the majesty of the UNESCO world heritage Kasbah of Ait Ben Haddou.
- Admire the scenery of the Valley of the roses to Dades Canyons.
- Walk along the stream in Todra oasis to the massive cliffs of Todgha Canyons.
- Ride your camel for a dramatic sunset view over Erg Chebbi dunes.
- Spend the night at your Sahara desert camp in Merzouga.
- Drive from Merzouga to Fes past the Middle Atlas Mountains and cedar woods.
Day 1: Marrakech » Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah » Dades Valley [315 Km]
Your shared Marrakech To Fes desert trip will start in the morning with pick up from your hotel or the nearest accessible point to your riad. After driving past Marrakech suburbs, full of small towns, and different farms, we start driving uphill to cross the High Atlas Mountains. A quick stop for a coffee and toilet will be made before we reach the famous Tizi Ntichka pass ( 2260 m high ).
Numerous stops will be made to take photos and stretch your legs before the landscape dramatically changes upon approaching Kasbah Air Ben Hadou. This UNESCO classified village is one of the most visited landmarks in Morocco. It is famous for having been -and still is- used for different Hollywood epics ( Game of thrones, Kingdom of heaven, Gladiator, etc…. )
If you wish, you can hire a local guide with the rest of the group ( optional ) for a visit of the village before you choose a local cafe for lunch.
In the afternoon, we continue to Dades Valley past Ouarzazate, Skoura oasis and Klaa Mgrouna, the latter is famous for its Damascus rose plantation and distillation. The journey between Ouarzazate and Dades is also known as ‘’ The road of 1001 Kasbahs’’
Upon arrival at Boumalne Dades, deviate to a minor road driving past amazing scenery of Dades River, with different fortified Berber villages in the backdrop.
Arrive at your Dads Hotel just before it gets dark, and enjoy your dinner.
Day 2: Dades » Todra Gorges » Erfoud » Merzouga [255 km]
After having enjoyed your breakfast, get ready for an amazing journey which will be the highlight of your shared Marrakech to Fez desert tour: Your next stop will be at Tinghir oasis, where you will have the chance of walking along the stream under the shade of date palm and olive trees witnessing local Berbers taking care of their crops or herding their cattle.
The walk will lead you to the majestic cliffs of Todgha Gorges where you will have the opportunity to take some photos and enjoy the silence.
After lunch at leisure at one of the local cafes, you will continue to Rissani past various small towns, oases, and Ksours ( fortified villages ). From here, you can spot the pink sand dunes approaching over the horizon. Upon arrival in Merzouga, meet your camel caravan, and start an hour-long camel ride over Erg Chebbi sand dunes marveling at one of the best sunset views.
Continue your camel trek to your Sahara desert camp. A delicious Moroccan dinner will be served tonight at your Bedouin camp, and your nomad hosts will be entertaining you around the campfire with their drums under the crystal clear sky.
Overnight at your Merzouga desert camp.
Day 3: Merzouga Desert » Ziz Valley » Midelt » Ifrane » Fes [467 Km]
You will wake up in time to watch the sun rise over the 300-meter-tall dunes and travel into the dawn towards the border with Algeria. Next, you will return by camel to a hotel for breakfast and a shower. You will then depart for Fes, traveling through the Ziz valley and stopping for lunch in village with plentiful apple orchards. You will later enjoy the journey through mountain cedar forests before arriving to Fes in the afternoon, stopping to take pictures at a panoramic viewpoint.
Your estimated time of arrival to Fes is 17h00, and your shared 3 days desert tour from Marrakech to Fes will come to an end with a drop off at your hotel or the nearest accessible point to your Road.
- Pick up from your hotel/Riad in Marrakech
- A/C modern minibus (no more than 17 passengers) driven by an English/Spanish/French/Arabic speaking driver
- First night at hotel in Boumalne Dades included dinner/breakfast
- Sunset camel trek in Erg Chebbi
- Overnight at a Sahara desert camp in Erg Chebbi including Moroccandinner
- Breakfast and shower
- Drop off at a location of your choice in Fes.
To know before you go :
Ps : Standard desert camp included in the tour price of 60 Euros is very basic. Should you wish to stay at a comfortable camp with hot showers and guaranteed private tent , there is a supplement of 20 Euros per person.
- Please note the above driving times do not include time for sightseeing, lunches, drinks, and photos
- This shared Marrakech to Zagora tour is perfect for easy-going travelers with limited expectations. Otherwise, a private tour would suit you much better.
- Your luggage is welcome on this Marrakech to Zagora trip. It will be safely stored in the van while camping in the desert.
- Please make sure you prepare a small backpack/rucksack for the camel ride and overnight in the camp.
- Please bring your own bathroom condiments and towel for the camp.
- Hat, sunglasses, good walking shoes, and wet napkins are of good use during this tour.
- Please wear jeans, trousers, or long shorts for the camel ride to have a comfortable trek in the Merzouga desert.
- If you wish to experience sand boarding in the dunes of Erg Chebbi, there are a few sand boards in the camp. Just ask for it and if available, you will be given one (or you will have shared one)
Questions & Answers
Yes. Your first night hotel room in Dades Valley is private with ensuite bathroom, and the room is also air conditioned
After an early surise camel ride from your Erg Chebbi camel ride to the camp, breakfast and a quick shower, you will meet your new driver in the camp, who will take you to Fez.
Yes, you can, it will be kept safe in the van while camping. However, please prepare your small backpack to take with you on the camel ride to the Sahara desert camp. The rest of your luggage will stay safe in your vehicle for the night.
You won’t have time to experience a quad biking activity in Erg Chebbi on a shared tour. You will arrive just in time for sunset, and depart in the morning just after breakfast.
Yes there will be stops from Merzouga to Fes. especially to watch the Barbary Apes in the Middle Atlas Mountains if you meet them on the road. There will also be a stop in Midelt for lunch at leisure