Shared 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech to Merzouga
Take a Shared 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech to Merzouga and explore the real Morocco. Enjoy breathtaking scenery ranging from the snow-capped Atlas Mountains to the color-changing sand dunes of Erg Chebbi. Visit kasbahs and Berber settlements fortified with mud bricks. Explore the lush green oases and limestone canyons. The moment you sit on the back of your camel and watch the sunset on your way to your Berber tent, you will realize that this Sahara desert trip is really worth it.
Traverse the High Atlas Mountains and Tizi N’tichka pass
Spend time in the Kasbah of Ait Ben Haddou and explore the Berber village
Take a promenade along the stream in Todra oasis to the majestic gorges
Sit in the back of your camel and enjoy the views of Erg Chebbi with its dramatic sunset
Enjoy a Berber dinner under the stars and spend the night at your Merzouga desert camp
Day 1 : Marrakech – Atlas mountains – Kasbah Aait Ben Haddou – Dades valley
Your 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech to Merzouga will start early in the morning with a drive east from Marrakech through small suburban towns to the High Atlas Mountains. A few stops will be made to take photos, enjoy the scenery, stretch your legs and drink a cup of coffee.
Ride winding roads to the famous Tizi Ntichka Pass before reaching Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou, the first major stop today for sightseeing. The fortified Berber village of Ait Ben Haddou is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is also known for the great Hollywood epics, to name just a few films that used the village for filming: Kingdom of Heaven, Lawrence of Arabia and Gladiator. Cross the river separating the Kasbah from the main road and explore the village at your leisure. If you want to hire a local guide, they are available on site.
After free lunch in one of the local cafes, continue to the Dades Valley, passing Ouarzazate, the oasis of Skoura, Klaa Mgouna, the capital of the Valley of Roses, and famous for its artisanal distillation factories of rose water.
Upon arrival in Boumalne Dades, follow the Dades River on a small road passing through various fortified Kasbahs located on the side of the road leading to the Dades Canyons. You will arrive at your hotel in the late afternoon.
Dinner and overnight at your Dades hotel.
Day 2 : Boumalne Dades valley–Tinghir – Todgha gorge – Merzouga.
After breakfast at your hotel in the Dades Valley, our journey today will begin with a drive along the 1001 Kasbahs road to the Tighir oasis, where we will detour to a secondary road along the river to Todgha, where it will stop. for a Walk through the oasis under the shade of palm trees and continue to Todgha Gorges.
After some free time to enjoy the immensity of the huge cliffs, and have lunch in a local cafe (at free time), we continue early in the afternoon to Rissani, famous for its date market, and being a starting point of the old trade. caravans crossing the Sahara desert to Tomboctou. After a quick stop, we will continue to Merzouga driving through a rocky desert landscape.
After that, you will continue to the captivating dunes of Erg Chebbi, these dunes are also called Merzouga Dunes. Arrive to the dunes and get ready for a camel ride about one an hour and a half in order to get to your Camp tents during the trek you will take a break in the middle of the dunes to watch the sunset, try the sand-boarding if that’s An activity you’re interested in, take photos and enjoy the scenery … after the sun goes down you will continue to the camp where you will be welcomed with a glass of mint tea, dinner, campfire, music party, and Overnight stay at Desert Camping.
Day 3 : Merzouga – Ouarzazate – Atlas mountains- Marrakech.
Today after enjoying the amazing sunrise among the sand dunes and having shower & breakfast at the camp.
Our driver will pick you up from there. Then we’ll travel back to Marrakech driving through the arid pre-deserted area where we´ll see acacia typical trees of this landscape. On the way to the Draa valley, we´ll make some stops to admire the beautiful views of the Valley river. It’s the longest one in Morocco. Our 3 Days Tour from Marrakech to Merzouga continues towards Ouarzazate crossing the Anti Atlas. We’ll have some free time for lunch in the city and in the afternoon we continue our journey to Marrakech arrival in the late afternoon/evening about 19h00.
End of 3 days Sahara Desert tour.
- Pick up from your Marrakech riad / hotel on the tour day ( or the closest accessible point to your riad ).
- A/C modern minibus driven by an English / Spanish / French speaking driver / guide ( Maximum of 17 passengers ).
- First night in Dades Valley hotel including dinner and breakfast
- Sunset camel rides / Sand boarding in Erg Chebbi.
- Overnight at Luxury or Standard desert camp with dinner & breakfast.
- Sunrise camel ride in Erg Chebbi.
- Drop off at your Marrakech hotel or the closest accessible location to your riad if not car accessible.
- No hidden costs.
To know before you go :
- Please note the above driving times do not include time for sightseeing, lunches, drinks, and photos.
- This tour is perfect for easy-going travelers with limited expectations. Otherwise a private tour would suit you much better
- Your luggage is welcome on this Marrakech to Merzouga trip. It will be safely stored at the van while camping in the desert
- Please make sure you prepare a small backpack / rucksack for the camel ride and overnight in the camp
- Please bring your own bathroom condiments and towel for the camp
- Warm blankets are supplied during the winter. However, warm sleeping clothes are necessary as temperatures can reach 0°C
- Hat, sunglasses, good walking shoes and wet napping are of good use during this tour
- Please wear jeans, trousers or long shorts for the camel ride to have a comfortable trek in Erg Chebbi dunes.
- If you wish to experience sand boarding in the dunes of Erg Chebbi, there are a few sand boards in the lodge to take with you to the camp. Just ask for it and if available, you will be given one
Questions & Answers
Marrakech to Merzouga is 564 km, the first night you will sleep in Dades valley and reach Merzouga on the second day. Day 3 you will spend driving back to Marrakech.
A shared triple or quadruple room is included in the tour price. For a private room, please choose an upgrade (costs just for 10 Euros per person). Private rooms and shared rooms are with AC.
No it is not. If you wish to have a private tent, an extra upgrade fee of 10 Euros per person will apply at the time of booking. If not, you will have a quadruple room ( with same sex guests ).
For the camel ride, we recommend wearing jeans or long trousers. Please prepare a small backpack with and your personal belongings. Do not forget sunglasses, a scarf, a hat, and your bottle of water. the other luggage would be dropped by your driver in your tent during your camel ride.
In winter it gets quite cold at night in the desert (temperatures can drop to around 0). You will be provided with warm blankets, but we would advise bringing warm clothes for sleeping.
There will be a few sand boards available at the camp operator’s lodge to use at leisure ( Availability not guaranteed ). You can ask for one to take to the camp with you. They are free.
You won’t have time to experience a quad biking activity in Erg Chebbi on a shared tour. You will arrive just in time for sunset, and depart in the morning just after breakfast.